Highly aggressive yellow crazy ants are listed as one of the top 100 worst invasive species in the world, and sadly, have made it into northern Australia through our ports. Capable of forming super colonies, they threaten our Wet Tropics World Heritage Area and carry huge social, environmental and financial impacts.
That’s why we’ve joined Townsville City Council in the battle against yellow crazy ants in Queensland’s far north.
Our community coordinator, Yvette Williams, is working with the council to help local communities eradicate yellow crazy ants, which have been present in Nome, just south of Townsville, since 2008.
If you live in the area and would like to get involved, we’re always looking for more volunteers to work on this incredibly important protect. Just sign-up below!
Thank you for your interest in joining the Townsville Yellow Crazy Ant Community Taskforce.
By signing up below you will receive monthly updates on the taskforce’s activities and progress, as well as invites to taskforce baiting, monitoring and surveillance events. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Why we need to eradicate yellow crazy ants
- Yellow crazy ants are in the top 100 most invasive species list.
- These ants have infested a 40 hectare area in Nome, south of Townsville.
- They have invaded property owners’ houses and removed native wildlife from this area.
- This infestation is near Mount Elliot, Cape Bowling Green National Park, part of the Wet Tropics world heritage area and pose a threat to the species only found in this area.
- Townsville City Council is currently baiting to eradicate this species but your help is needed for baiting, monitoring and surveying for this species.
- Eradication is achievable with the help and dedication of the community.
Townsville Yellow Crazy Ant Community Taskforce
- Volunteers will be trained in the baiting, monitoring and surveying of yellow crazy ants.
- Our community coordinator organises the taskforce and is working with Townsville City Council.
This project is supported by the Queensland Government’s Community Sustainability Action grant program.