Fostering responsible pet ownership in New South Wales. A fact sheet developed by the Invasive Species Council, WIRES, the Nature Conservation Council of NSW, Birdlife Australia and the Australian Wildlife Society ahead of the 2023 NSW state election.
Recommendations in brief:
- Amend the NSW Companion Animals Act 1998 to enable local governments to enforce antiroaming laws for pet cats at a local level.
- Allocate a minimum of $9 million to fund compliance, education, desexing, identification and registration programs.
- Encourage local governments to develop companion animal management plans.
- Develop a state-wide web resource for pet owners.
- Streamline pet identification and registration processes.
- Make desexing mandatory state-wide.