The Invasive Species Council is concerned about a number of issues surrounding Australia’s federal quarantine and biosecurity system, including:
- Cultural issues.
- Failure to implement polluter pays approaches.
- Insufficient precaution or priority in risk assessments.
- Lack of taxonomic expertise.
- Inadequate border quarantine.
- Eradication opportunities being ignored.
This submission provides input to the review of quarantine and biosecurity led by Roger Beale.
You can get more information from the Review of Australia’s Quarantine and Biosecurity Arrangements 2008 website.